Energy and infrastructure are the lifeblood of great communities.
Today’s systems must:
- Keep pace with rapid urbanization
- Mitigate and adapt to climate change
- Support a more circular economy
- Promote greater equity and inclusion
- Nurture innovation and economic development
- Protect human health and natural ecosystems
- Provide flexibility and resilience
- Get smarter
- Do more with less
That’s a tall order. But we enjoy a challenge.
Reshape is a boutique firm of senior professionals with diverse skills and deep experience in energy and infrastructure.
- We have interdisciplinary backgrounds in economics, engineering, science, planning and management.
- We choose assignments that feed our passions, not a large consulting machine. Our passion is building just, beautiful and sustainable neighborhoods, cities and regions. We see climate change as the most significant environmental challenge of our generation.
- Our approach is very collaborative and often team-based. We have cultivated a global network of partners we can draw on for large or specialized assignments.
- We excel at managing diverse teams and curating information from a wide range of disciplines, sectors, and jurisdictions.
- We tailor our teams and our approaches to the needs of individual assignments. We are able to adapt quickly to new information and changing priorities as assignments unfold.
What we do
Reshape works throughout the project and business lifecycle – from initial concept and implementation to expansion and renewal.
Our services include:
- Concept development and screening
- Feasibility studies and business cases
- Business models, strategy, planning and renewal
- Rate setting and regulatory approvals
- Negotiation of agreements
- Due diligence and transaction support
- Owner or customer representative
- Policy and market development
Working with Trent and the Reshape team was a fantastic experience. They were instrumental in developing and proving out the case for the Capital Regional District’s renewable natural gas facility. I can’t give a higher recommendation: incredible talent, energy, intelligence and value for money. Hiring them was one of the best professional decisions I’ve made and I can’t wait to continue working with them on future projects- I’m truly a raving fan.Liz Ferris, Manager of Policy and Planning, CRD Environmental Resource Management
Reshape has a unique ability to present complex issues in a clear, easy to understand manner. Their assistance has enabled us to finally move our district energy project from a ‘good idea’ to reality.Sarah Wellman, Senior Engineer, Solid Waste Services, Metro Vancouver
The Reshape team has been providing invaluable support to the City of Richmond on a number of regulatory matters. Their knowledge and understanding of the regulated utilities industry in BC is unmatched. Reshape’s support in the successful execution of a tri-party agreement between Richmond’s wholly-owned Lulu Island Energy Company, Corix Infrastructure Inc. and the Canada Infrastructure Bank for district energy expansion was very appreciated.Peter Russell, Director, Sustainability and District Energy, City of Richmond
“KWL and Reshape collaborate on many projects and we love working with our long-term friends at Reshape. We complement each other's skills leading to smart, practical, client-driven, low carbon solutions.”Ron Monk, M.Eng., P.Eng., Principal & Energy Sector Leader, Kerr Wood Leidal Associates Ltd.
“Concert has worked with Reshape on multiple projects on both sides of the country, and we always appreciate the insight and balanced advice we get from them. Whether its assisting us in complex negotiations with local governments or building business cases for deep carbon emissions reductions, Reshape continues to be a valued partner.”Dave Ramslie, Vice President, Innovation & Sustainability
“It’s been a pleasure working with Reshape Strategies. They’re highly skilled at taking complex problems and breaking them down into digestible, focused tasks. They have the practical, technical knowledge to be able to lead complex planning exercises with purpose, without getting lost in the minutiae.”Carson Gemmil, Director, Engineering, Enwave
"Reshape's multi-disciplinary experience across various cities and markets brings a well-rounded perspective to project development including economics, communications and navigating complex municipal frameworks. Reshape’s technical knowledge coupled with a solid commercial perspective has made them a valuable addition to our team.”Jan de Wolde, Director District and Community Energy, ENMAX
“Our North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant effluent heat recovery project was a first for Metro Vancouver. Reshape played a big part in making it happen. Thanks to Reshape’s insight, savvy guidance, persistence, and sharp negotiating skills, we were able to achieve a successful result. Reshape are my dream consultants: wicked smart, personable, responsive, flexible, wise, deliver high quality products, and all around great people who are fun to work with in challenging circumstances!”Lillian Zaremba, Senior Project Engineer, Utility Research and Innovation, Liquid Waste Services, Metro Vancouver
With their extensive knowledge and experience in the utilities industry, Reshape was instrumental in negotiations that led to the successful execution of Lulu Island Energy Company’s $580 million financing agreement with Corix Infrastructure Inc. and Canada Infrastructure Bank for district energy expansion in Richmond, BC. Reshape was vigilant in ensuring that LIEC’s objectives were achieved, including offering concepts that were acceptable by all parties when and where conflicts arose.Alen Postolka, Manager, District Energy, Lulu Island Energy Company
"Reshape was instrumental in helping us obtain the Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity for River District Energy. At the time RDE was the first developer-owned district energy utility in BC to apply for a CPCN. Their skills and experience were invaluable in helping us prepare the application and respond to BC Utilities Commission staff and intervener requests."Ross Hanson, Senior Vice President, Wesgroup
"Reshape's balanced approach, deep knowledge of energy economics and regulation, and comprehensive industry experience has been key to testing viability, developing appropriate risk mitigation strategies, and finding a private sector partner to deliver a cost effective, low carbon district energy system for UBC's residential community."Orion Henderson, Director, Energy Planning and Innovation, UBC Energy and Water Services
"Reshape has a unique understanding of utility finance and regulatory issues, which has been instrumental to the successful development of the City-owned district energy utility, Surrey City Energy."Jason Owen, District Energy Manager, City of Surrey
"The technical expertise, professionalism, experience, and facilitation role that Reshape brings to the project is outstanding and has made a real difference in the outcome. We certainly look forward to Reshape continuing as our advisor as the project advances."Mauricio Acosta, Director, Energy & Environmental Sustainability, Fraser Health Authority
We spend a lot of time scouring the literature, visiting projects, and talking with peers around the globe to identify innovative solutions and real-world outcomes.
We are known in the industry for capacity building and thought leadership.
Green buildings and
Wastewater and solid waste
Low-Carbon district heating
Renewable natural gas
Data centre heat recovery
- We have experience in a wide range of technologies and business models.
- But our approach is uniquely technology- and ownership- agnostic.
- We tailor solutions to fit the needs of specific applications.
- We are known for our independent and objective advice.
Local and senior governments
and building owners
Utilities and infrastructure
We have acted from the perspective of developers, owners and end users.
We forge collaborative, long-term relationships with many of our clients and partners.